Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The 30th Anniversary Reunion


The date was 4th February 1979. That was the day I registered myself as a Form One student in MRSM Kulim. That was 30 years and 6 days ago. To commemorate the day, we’ve decided to do a Reunion - 30th Anniversary Reunion of the never-ending friendship of our 1979 batch - The Killerbatch. I’ve no idea how or why this name was given to us in the first place - us 177 altogether, with the ratio of 1girl:2boys.

The last time I’ve seen most of them was like 25 years ago. That was when we left high school for good after the 1983 SPM. Now after more than 20 years, I was going to meet them again.

When I reached TEP with Hanna (my chaperone!) – there they were ... the girls and boys. My God, I realized how much we’ve changed. And how much friendship was left unattended all these while. My voice suddenly became hoarse for I just couldn’t contain the joy and excitement I felt inside while hugging the girls I knew who now had become beautiful women, and saying hi to the boys who had now become great men.

Although all of us have changed – the wrinkles, the extra ‘tires’, the pot bellies, the receding hairlines, the gray hair and all – they remained as 17 year-olds in my eyes. These are the people I actually grew up with. These are the boys and girls that had given me my five years of learning, exploring, making friends, getting new experiences and satisfying those curiosities.

It was a wonderful feeling I had that night. It felt tremendously good to meet up with old friends and realized that the 30 years of friendship has been brought up to a higher level -

... That these boys and girls are now my Brothers and Sisters...

20 comments:

Mak Njang said...

Aaahh!!!! best sangat kan? Can't wait to see the group/class photos.

Anonymous said...

Ja,
jumpa sapa lagi? G ada tak?

Unknown said...

Killerbatch? That is one cool name! :D
Now that you mention it, I think my batch over here should have one also lah rather than just number 12 :D

tireless mom said...

Dear DDI

Finally the reunion ye. 30 years, wow, rasa baru lagi kan? Kenapa tak banyak pics?

mamasita said...

You must have had a very lovely time.
I am so happy for you..your forever young MRSM school-chums!The happy memories..those were the days kan?

Salt N Turmeric said...

i pun love going to the reunions. do u remember all of them or just few?

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear Hostess Melayu Terakhir,
You're the best! We have the best venue and the best of everything that night. Thanks to you and the committee.

I don't think any other places will allow the guests to stay over until 5am the next day!!! And also the Band & karaoke sampai pagi? Habaq mai, mana ada.

Happy sesangat meeting up with all of you. Another five years - 30th Anniversary Reunion keluar maktab?

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear Yus,
G was there. Her hubby waited patiently for her until 12am. Sporting habis, while bini dia dok mingle sana-sini. Siap amik2 gambaq lagi...

Jangan mare Foziah no, aku tau hang dok baca blog aku...hihihi...

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Akmal dear,
Cool? At first we (the girls) were quite reluctant with the name.

Now after more than 20years, I just have to admit that the name actually suits us :)

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear Tireless Mom,
Pix banyak... but at our Fotopages and Photoblog.

Yeah, it seems like yesterday when we were 13yos.... tak sedar sekarang anak2 yg 13yos.

I met a few Sri Inaians there. I'm sure you know some of them...

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear mamasita,
Yeah, it was great. Meeting them after all these years!

The killergirls had gatherings prior to this, but never exceeded 20 pax. So meeting more faces brought this inner joy that's hard to explain.

One of the outcome of the reunion : Friendships rekindled....

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear Farina,
At first everyone looked so different... it took me a few seconds to remember their names, especially the boys.

Best kan meeting old friends?

MAMAMIA said...

Syoknya... dapat jumpa kawan2 lama.. I always look forward to reunions. Tapi, ada jugak yang not in favour of such gatherings, for whatever reason.

Min ada tak???

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear Mamamia,
Syok especially bila dah tua macam ni baru nak jumpa balik.

Min was there. Anggun habisss you! I asked her about you. She said now both of you dah contact2 kan?

mazmin said...

hi ja... it was so good to finally meet u again.. thanks for the phone call that touched me n decided to join u guys. it was fun. i had fun , i know.
yes mamamia... i was there..

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Dear Min,
Me too. It was great to see you and the familiar faces again, after all these years. I however missed out a lot on the sembang2 that night sebab asyik dok amik gambaq.

Really hope we can meet again some other time. Hi-tea ke, lunch ke....

mazmin said...

yes, that wld be nice. let's arrange somethng... hi-tea wld be nice.
btw,can i hv yanne's fon no?

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Min dear,
One of these days kita gather balik na...

Reg the phone#, I've replied in FB :)

Anonymous said...

huhhhhh...so U are one of those ansara member from kulim ehh...I must have seen around in kulim...I use to visit kak sam, farouk & Mydin? cant remember what year it was...

Dalam Dakapan Ibu said...

Hiya Anon,
I remember Kak Sam. Cikgu Farouk and Cikgu Mydin - of course, they are legends!

I was there from 1979 to 1983. Are you one of the students/teachers/MARA officials?